Sunday 19 April 2009

1973 Gary Glitter: I Love You Love Me Love

'I Love You Love Me Love' - study that title long enough and it takes on the enigma of a philosophical logic puzzle: using deductive reasoning, explain who loves who and why. There wasn't too much that was puzzling about the song behind it though; a slower grind than you normally get from Gary, (the music could be 'I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am)' played at quarter speed), 'I Love You Love Me Love' is not much more than a caveman chant from the football terraces that even a simpleton could pick up and repeat after one listen. Hindsight may furrow it's brow at the "They said I wouldn't dare, to show how much I care" lyric, but taken on face value then 'I Love You Love Me Love' is a simple, chest beating declaration of love, a series of vague statements of devotion given presence and force by the relentlessly slow turn of the screw beat and Glitter's overly intense vocal. 'Serious Gary' may not be as much fun as 'playing the fool Gary', but this is decent enough.


No comments:

Post a Comment