Friday 1 May 2009

1974 The New Seekers: You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me

Well it's nothing if not catchy - "You Won't Find Another Fool Like Me" leaves the traps on a jollyboys Dixieland beat that screams 'Good Times Here', but appearances are deceptive. "Even though you treat me like you do, babe, I'm so hooked on you I can't get free" - you don't need to be a card carrying feminist to find something distasteful about Lyn Paul's strident vocal that seeks to find virtue in being treated like a doormat and daring her bloke to leave for the sole reason he won't find anybody else to put up with all his shit. Judith Durham - vocalist with The 'old' Seekers - would never have entertained singing such a spineless 'I'm a clown' lyric which, quelle surprise, was written by two blokes (and Tony Macaulay and Geoff Stephens at that, two blokes who should have known better).

"No one else could love you like I do"; I bet this idea of 'love' is repeated nightly in battered women's refuges up and down the country. Except nobody there is honking an R&B saxophone riff in the background while the nurse is patching them up. "Sometimes I can't understand, what makes me the fool that I am", nor me Lyn love, but you needn't sound so bloody pleased with yourself because of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment