Thursday 11 June 2009

1975 The Stylistics: I Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)

It's the old story - skint bloke tries to woo woman with love alone ("But I'm an ordinary guy, and my pockets are empty"). I don't know how successful this gambit was, but I'd say any heart not melted by Russell Thompkins' sweet, sweet falsetto isn't worth the wear of winning in the first place. Though it was their first UK number one, 'I Can't Give You Anything (But My Love)' marked a crossroads for The Stylistics. After garnering critical and commercial success with writer and producer Thom Bell ('Betcha By Golly Wow', 'You'll Never Get to Heaven (If You Break My Heart)', 'You Make Me Feel Brand New' et al), a split in 1974 led to a flux of collaborators and mixed fortunes for the band both at home in the US home and in the UK.

Working this time with Van McCoy, 'I Can't Give You Anything' takes a slight
detour from their Philly soul of yore into a breezier disco/pop arena. McCoy borrows the dancing swing from his own 'The Hustle' for the chassis of the song and scores the verses in a breath baiting minor key before the orgasmic eruption of the chorus. If anything, the production is a bit too smooth and a bit too slick for the anguish of a poor boy (compared to Bell's leaner, more gritty sound), but that's a small criticism - 'I Can't Give You Anything' is a lush, sumptuous experience that thankfully proves that, despite some eyebrow raising chart toppers in 1975, the great British public hadn't completely abandoned all notions of taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment